What is considered a fever in a 2 month old?
A baby’s normal temperature can range from about 97 to 100.3 degrees Fahrenheit. Most doctors consider a rectal temperature of 100.4 F or higher as a fever.
Is 99 fever normal for babies?
Your child has a fever if he or she: Has a rectal, ear or temporal artery temperature of 100.4 F (38 C) or higher. Has an oral temperature of 100 F (37.8 C) or higher. Has an armpit temperature of 99 F (37.2 C) or higher.
When should I take my 2 month old to the ER for a fever?
Also, talk to your child’s provider or go to the emergency room if your child: Is younger than age 3 months and has a rectal temperature of 100.4°F (38°C) or higher. Is 3 to 12 months old and has a fever of 102.2°F (39°C) or higher. Is under age 2 and has a fever that lasts longer than 48 hours.
Is 98 a fever for 2 month old?
The normal temperature for newborn babies usually falls between 96.8 degrees Fahrenheit and 100.3 degrees Fahrenheit, with the average normal baby temperature being 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit. Your baby has a fever if their temperature goes over this range to more than 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit.
What should I do if my 2 month old has a fever?
How to Treat a Fever
- Bathe your baby in lukewarm water. …
- Dress your baby in light, comfortable clothing.
- Make sure your baby is getting enough fluids to prevent dehydration.
- NEVER give your baby aspirin to treat a fever. …
- Acetaminophen and ibuprofen are the two medications for children that help fight fever.
How do I check my 2 month old temperature?
There are 3 main places to take a baby’s temperature:
- In the rectum. For best results in babies and toddlers up to 3 years of age, the American Academy of Pediatrics advises taking the temperature in the rectum. …
- On the forehead. A newer method to take a temperature is called temporal artery thermometry. …
- In the armpit.
Is armpit temperature accurate for babies?
Using underarm temperature is a safe and effective way to monitor body temperature, especially in younger children. However, it isn’t the most accurate method. So if you suspect a fever in a young child, it’s best to confirm their body temperature using a rectal or ear thermometer.
What temp should I take child to hospital?
If his or her temperature is above 100.4 degrees, it is time to call us. For children ages three months to three years, call us if there is a fever of 102 degrees or higher. For all kids three years and older, a fever of 103 degrees or higher means it is time to call Pediatrics East.
How can I reduce my baby’s fever at night?
How to reduce a fever
- Acetaminophen. If your child is over 3 months, you can offer them a safe amount of children’s acetaminophen (Tylenol). …
- Adjust their clothing. …
- Turn down the temperature. …
- Give them a lukewarm bath. …
- Offer fluids.
When should you worry about a baby’s fever?
Fever. If your baby is younger than 3 months old, contact the doctor for any fever. If your baby is 3 to 6 months old and has a temperature up to 102 F (38.9 C) and seems sick or has a temperature higher than 102 F (38.9 C), contact the doctor.