Can Robitussin help you get pregnant?
Short answer: no. According to experts, over-the-counter cough medicine like Mucinex or Robitussin do not significantly boost your chances of conceiving. Any “scientific” claims of cough syrup improving fertility are based on a single, small, methodologically flawed study done almost 40 years ago.
Which Robitussin should I take to get pregnant?
If you want to try it, I recommend using Mucinex Expectorant or Guaifenesin Extended-Release 600 mg tablets, as directed on the box. Or take two teaspoons of plain Robitussin expectorant (with no extra letters) or a generic version of it, three times a day.
How much Robitussin can I take pregnant?
Dextromethorphan is a cough suppressant used in OTC medications such as Robitussin to reduce coughing. Cough suppressants can come in immediate-release and extended-release preparations. The maximum dose for pregnant women is 120 mg in 24 hours.
Can Robitussin cause birth defects?
Effects of Dextromethorphan on a Fetus
Taking dextromethorphan as directed will not cause a fetus to have birth defects. It should be noted, however, that the overuse or misuse of dextromethorphan can negatively affect a pregnant woman and therefore, her fetus.
What helps you get pregnant fast?
How to get pregnant: Step-by-step instructions
- Record menstrual cycle frequency. …
- Monitor ovulation. …
- Have sex every other day during the fertile window. …
- Strive for a healthy body weight. …
- Take a prenatal vitamin. …
- Eat healthy foods. …
- Cut back on strenuous workouts. …
- Be aware of age-related fertility declines.
How can you conceive twins?
Conception happens when a sperm fertilizes an egg to form an embryo. However, if there are two eggs present in the womb at the time of fertilization or the fertilized egg splits into two separate embryos, a woman can become pregnant with twins.
What is the difference between Robitussin CF and DM?
Robitussin Multi-Symptom Cold Cf (Dextromethorphan / Guaifenesin / Phenylephrine) Breaks up mucus and relieves cough. Mucinex Dm (Dextromethorphan / Guaifenesin) is okay for loosening congestion in your chest and throat, but it could prevent you from coughing the mucus up.
Which Robitussin is best for cough?
If you’re only looking to treat a cough, you may prefer Robitussin 12 Hour Cough Relief, which just contains dextromethorphan. On the other hand, you can use Mucinex or Maximum Strength Mucinex, which only contain guaifenesin, to reduce congestion.
How can I become more fertile?
16 Natural Ways to Boost Fertility
- Eat foods rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants like folate and zinc may improve fertility for both men and women. …
- Eat a bigger breakfast. …
- Avoid trans fats. …
- Cut down on carbs if you have PCOS. …
- Eat fewer refined carbs. …
- Eat more fiber. …
- Swap protein sources. …
- Choose high fat dairy.
What kind of cough medicine is safe during pregnancy?
Expectorants like Mucinex, cough suppressants like Robitussin, vapor rubs like Vicks VapoRub, and cough drops are all considered safe during pregnancy.
What cold medicine is safe for pregnancy?
Common Cold Medicine and Pregnancy: The Safe List
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
- Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed)
- Loratadine (Claritin)
- Zinc lozenges.
- Chloraseptic spray (but a salt water gargle is just as effective, with no risks)
What can I take for cough and congestion while pregnant?
Safe options include:
- plain cough syrup, such as Vicks.
- dextromethorphan (Robitussin; category C) and dextromethorphan-guaifenesin (Robitussin DM; category C) cough syrups.
- cough expectorant during the day.
- cough suppressant at night.
- acetaminophen (Tylenol; category B) to relieve pain and fever.